Menu
Support: 504-934-7100
|Sales: 504-934-7120

The UDI BlogNews | Views | InformationStay Tuned

School safety grant applications are being accepted through July 30

July 24, 2018 | News & Trends

The application process for new federal school security grants under the STOP School Violence Act is underway.

In March, the STOP School Violence Act was passed as part of the FY18 Omnibus Bill, making grant funding available for schools seeking to improve security through measures like physical enhancements, better training, security assessments and more. $25 million has been allocated to improve security at schools via the U.S. Department of Justice’s office of Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) as part of its School Violence Prevention Program (SVPP).

The 2018 School Violence Prevention Program provides funding directly to states, units of local government, and Indian tribes. School districts will need to partner with these organizations to apply for the federal grants, which are 24-month awards up to a maximum of $500,000.

Funding will cover 75 percent of the certain safety measures, with the other 25 percent provided by the recipients, including:

  • – Entry control equipment
  • – School site alarm, and protection systems
  • – Communication technology
  • – Emergency alerts
  • – Identification technology, laptops, maps of schools and bus routes
  • – Printers
  • – Social media monitoring
  • – Tracking systems
  • – Video surveillance technology

 

There is only a short window to apply for 2018 funds. Applications are due by July 30. Applications are to be submitted here on the DOJ’s COPS program website.

 

 

 

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Partners in Success
UDI has Partnered with these Industry Leaders